Wednesday, April 12, 2006

On Birthdays and the Blonde Venus Herself.....

Ye Gods. Birthday today. 38 years old. Have decided not to panic, but to just have fun. Since there is no alternative to getting older (well, there IS, but it kind of puts the kibosh on any sort of FUN ever again, so negs to THAT) I may as well enjoy it. Weather is grey, and puts me a little off, especially since I evidently was playing in the sandbox in shorts on my third birthday back in 1971. Grampa had put the corn in by then too, according to family lore, and I was in the sandbox. Probably the last time either occurrence ever happened. But the weather may pick up.

Made a curry/sweet potato soup at work today and nobody died. So far. I went to Nadia's for a Goy Passover supper (that is, we didn't have a clue what was going on, and she explained it all, even though I remembered it all from Sunday school classes as a kid) and ate like a pig, and then drew pictures with Nando, Ethan and Matthew, who are 9, and 5 respectively. Beavers and dams were the big pictures of the night, followed by elephants and insects with elephant ears.

Now today I'm swamped with work, soup making, and dinner tonight with Stephanie at the Keg mansion. Mom and Todd sent me e-cards, and Mom gave me $25, (bar hopping here I come!) Scotty, bless his soul and dwindling pocketbook (his dog is a black hole of financial suckage, cute though she is) went out and bought me, (hang onto yer feather boas kids) the MARLENE DIETRICH; THE GLAMOUR COLLECTION. How SWELL is THAT?!?! I sense a movie night coming; the idea of Huctwith sitting agape watching Marlene crooning HOT VOODOO from inside a gorilla suit, wearing the biggest blond Afro with bones sticking out of it, simply BEGGARS the imagination...Marlene in the fro, not James, although he may very well get into the spirit of the thing too and end up with one.....

Plus there's MOROCCO, which I've never seen, and always wanted to, (its the only movie she was ever nominated for an Oscar for, back in 1930) and a bunch of others....

So far so good birthday. I may step out for some air. I think I overcurried the soup. I'm starting to look a veritably blushing shade of interuterine pink!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can rent a tux, I can perm my hair, I can get some chicken bones from the freezer...
DONE!