Friday, December 29, 2006

Christmas Didn't Make Me Cry!


I know that sounds odd. It is. For the last few years I've dreaded Christmas. Nobody's fault really, I just couldn't deal with it. Too many deaths, marriage breakups and the whatnot had kind of spoiled the whole schmear for me in the last few years, and had left me wary of future holidays. But this year was revelatory. No fights, no arguments, no tears and no wondering "Why the hell do I put myself through this every year?" To begin with, I was invited to a RASH of Christmas parties, which simply NEVER happens. I had one weekend where I was invited to THREE on the same night! Insane. Maybe that isn't so unusual for most people, but it sure wasn't par for the course for me! Of course I enjoyed it all IMMMENSELEEEEEY. Booze and free eats? Who wouldn't?

As for my familial Christmas do's, I was shocked and delighted. I had a lovely time at my Dad's place and we had fun, just the two of us, something we hadn't done in a long time, just hanging out, reading, shopping, watching Fawlty Towers and howling with laughter. Then I went up to my Mom's place (well actually, her boyfriend's place, but she lives there too) and had a lovely Christmas day, and sat down to a four star Christmas dinner, and innumerable amounts of wine. Met a bunch of charming people and all of them were delightful. The only group gathering I missed was a pre-Christmas day at my brother's place the week before, but I was sick, and couldn't make it. Oh well, there's always next year....in the meantime, its now Friday, December 29th, and at last count, I have exactly, three, and possibly four more parties to go to before work on Tuesday morning.

But all things considered, in light of recent events, I consider this successful Christmas as one of the peak events of civilization. From a slightly biased standpoint that is...

No comments: