Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Short Hair, Angels, Comix and Why Hugh Never Has to Worry....

Word of warning kids; this is a light, shallow and completely vapid post today, and I don't give a goshdarn to quote my brother, (who since the advent of spawning children, has had to give up on the evil syntactical delights of swearing, poor bugger) as I'm in too good a mood to be dragged down into the woes and miseries of the world aujourdhui....

At any rate, I'm MUCHLY improved today. Got my hair cut yesterday. Not that the two are mutually codependent, but I imagine as Grampa used to say, "a change is as good as a rest", and that it perked my mood up considerably. Something different. I never fare well with too little variety or change.

I now look nothing so much like that "happy hunting boy" some wayward British theatre critic called Vivien Leigh's Viola in Stratford's 1955 "Twelfth Night", but I don't mind. Vivien's much prettier than me, but I can live with it. A friend (who shall remain nameless lest it ruin his reputation for being snarky with me) admitted that he had always envied me my hair, and said it made me look pseudo Victorian, in a Bronte-esque or Byronic kind of mold. Which is exactly what you want to hear the day after you get it all cut off.

"You yutz." I snapped, and hung up the phone on him.

Ah well, its of no moment. The short hair I mean. It'll make the cycling easier and besides, it'll all grow back. At some point. I forgot how my hair curls when its short, which may be a mercy, because if it were short, I'd have a bowl cut, and look like an ex-pat Beatle. Or an eight year old named Quentin. But its got a stubborn curl to it, so now I can just brush it anyway I like and it STAYS there.

Anyway, I went out with the lads tonight (Scotty, the two Jameses, Robert, his friend Scott and Dave and his friend Jeff) and saw X-Men 3, which I confess I already saw on the weekend with Victor, but I liked it so much I didn't mind seeing it a second time.

O.K. I don't know WHO Ben Foster is, but if Tony Kushner had seen X3, HE and not Emma Thompson (lovely and brilliant as the divine Em is!) would have played the angel in Angels in America. THIS angel would certainly have made quick work of Prior Walter; plasma orgasmata indeed!! Gorgeous creature. My only real criticism is that we didn't see enough of him, and I'll miss Cyclops. He was a prig, but you need that in a story such as this, and he played so nicely off Hugh Jackman as Wolverine. Fun movie, you'll enjoy it. I only hope there's an XMen 4 and that we'll get to see more of this Foster character. Whoever he is.

I'm glad there was such a strong Canadian contingency in the cast. Both Anna Paquin and Shawn Ashmore were in it, and for a comic book movie, it was quite rivetting. Say what one may about the comic book culture, but there is an immediate cinematic quality to it, that probably lends itself to be easier (and perhaps more successful) to adapt as a movie than say a regular novel, which by nature, is a lot of the time, an internal journey. Some (a lot, actually) novels just aren't filmable. Comics would seem to be an obvious inspiration for films since so much can be done now in the way of special effects. I can't wait to see what they're going to do with next year's Wonder Woman. More to the point, I can't wait to see how they're going to cast it. They've managed to pull off the best Batman movie yet, and Superman Returns looks to be a winner, and the Spiderman and X Men series have just been getting better, so let's hope it keeps up. What a disappointment to take a major female icon (let's face it, the Big Mama of female superheroes) and screw it up. Cross your fingers and toes kids.

You want to know something funny? When Victor and I were in New York City, we went to see Hugh Jackman in Boy From Oz, and when we stood outside the stage door, waiting for them to come out, he came out in jeans, a sweatshirt and a baseball cap, signed some autographs, and then hopped into the jeep I guess they drop them home in, and I noticed, he's my height, my build, (well, obviously in much better shape) that is to say, he's small boned, long and lean like me. AND the stunning thing was, you know how you can always tell your contemporaries? You look at them and think, "Yeah, they're my age." I looked at him, and it hit me, my God, he's MY age! I didn't know how old he was at the time, until I looked it up the next day, and it turns out he's not only 6'2" and a half (my height exactly) but that he is actually YOUNGER than I am, by about seven months! The fault dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in our goddamn faces!!!

Sigh. Now isn't THAT a kick in the rubber parts? Well Hugh, you might have gotten and lost Famke Janssen, but thank God, I've still got my hair.

No comments: