Saturday, October 21, 2006

DAY FIVE: JOHNSTOWN TO LANCASTER

This is the day I don't remember very well. I have to start thinking about where I woke up. Well, I woke up and had breakfast, well, I woke up at 3:00 a.m., got showered and cleaned up, went back and slept for two hours, took the tent down, had breakfast and got ready to go.

Lots of flats today, even James got one. The ride was mostly along bike paths today, which was great, and rode with G. again, which is always fun. He's so chipper and sweet-natured, Lord knows how he handles a grouch like me. Very pretty scenery as always, and I guess because its the 2nd last day, it doesn't seem so endlessly long. Or I'm actually getting better at this. Or the roads are getting easier to manage. Or I'm just bloody lucky. If I keep this biking thing up, (which I may) and do this again, I'm getting new shoes (the click-on ones) and smooth wheels. I'd just go faster. Besides all of that, I've actually worn holes in my runners from gripping onto the pedals...

It still seems extraordinary to me that I'm actually here. I'm used to biking every morning now, and every time I wake up, and get on my bike again, there's almost a physical sensation of excitement, in that the body knows what to expect, and if not looking forward to it (although I can't say that's the case, its almost like a sense of relief) it at least knows what the expectations are. People I notice, seem to be getting more and more flats. Bizarre. Its making me tire-paranoid. Fortunately, I bought another two tubes when we stopped at one of our stops near a bike shop. What with all my tools and so forth, I may have no idea what I'm doing repair-wise, but at least I'll be well prepared....

Hot day today again, but better that than driving rain. You really only notice it, (or at least I do) more when you finish your break and get back on the road, as the wind really does cool you down quite a bit, even when its a hot wind. Plus I find that if I break too long (more than ten minutes) I feel quite sluggish for the first few miles when I get back on my bike.

(I'm glad I'm writing all of this down in my journal for later use on my blog, I wouldn't remember any of this a week from now....but I'll re-check the maps, doubtless I'll remember more when I see place names...)

No comments: