Saturday, October 21, 2006

DAY FOUR: Kingston to Johnstown



Some of the great views of the countryside you get afforded by biking, not driving or taking a train. I'm not exactly sure where these were taken, but I suspect they may have been around the 1000 Islands.


At any rate, we did 110 kms today. Rode with Gilbert. I was sluggish the first quarter, but I picked up after the break. Very pretty ride today, mostly along a bike trail, talked with G. a lot, something I haven't done with anybody while riding, because well, I could never keep up with anybody, but fortunately, here's somebody who goes my speed. He's a good guy. We got in at around 4:30, it was very hot out, around 31 degrees celsius, humid, which of course, just makes me worry about rain. But none so far, so maybe we'll get lucky. I went swimming in the St. Lawrence and oddly enough something grabbed onto my leg. I didn't panic, but turned to Gilbert, (who was also swimming) and said, "Something has attached itself to my leg." He turned around, wide-eyed, whereupon I kicked up my leg, and there, on my lower thigh, was a pair of rather stylish looking sunglasses. Perfect. I go swimming in the St.Lawrence, and I come up with eyewear. Very odd. Does this sort of thing happen to other people? I doubt it. We sat around James' and David's tents and drank and gabbed with Luis, Christian and Bruce. Then the bugs got too bad, and it was late, so we all went to bed. Tomorrow night is our last night. My God, its all going so fast.....I'm more and more in a state of terror that I will blow a tire and be stranded, unable to remember how to change it. Even James got one today, just before the first break. I am keeping my eyes peeled for glass and potholes. I imagine I'll be paranoid about them for months, even when I'm back in Toronto, walking about. "Pothole!" I'll yell, walking down the street in front of Woody's carrying only a knapsack. "A nutbar..." they'll mutter, and probably ban me from semi-polite society. Oh well, its all for a good cause....

No comments: