Monday, May 08, 2006

Weddings!!!

No, I didn't get married. But my friends Ina and David did, or rather got remarried as they had a very small ceremony in the fall that not everyone could make it for, and so this was kind of like a party after the fact. Now usually, I'm not a weddings kinda kid, as I usually find them overblown, and all about the stuff. This was, (along with my friends Shaun and Jen's wedding in P.E.I.) simply the best wedding I've ever been to. It was about the couple, not about the loot. They'd been through a few struggles to get to that point (what couple doesn't?) including peeing cats, moves and house renovations, (and if THAT doesn't test your endurance, nothing will) but they made it through in one piece, and the whole ceremony was a great celebration of their pluck, humour and dare I say it, cynic that I am, their love. Not that sappy crap either, this was the real live whole "for better or for worse" enchalada. Even Paul (my old roomie) and I were teary-eyed, even though he said it was dust, and I claimed (and still do) that my tear-ducts were (and are) hermetically sealed. (I work in an architectural office, so I know about that things like that.) Nevertheless, none of us believed it. It was fab. And when Ina walked down the aisle looking like Garbo, Harlow and Dietrich combined, we lost it altogether. She was a vision.

Plus, there were lots of other fun stuff. The food was SUPOIB. AND, Tim W. was there, and so was his brother Jamie (whom I FINALLY got to meet) and I gotta say, yup, he's the cool sibling. He dances with dogs. HOW can you top that? Plus, I finally got to meet Timmikin's new beau (well, new for me, I gather Tim's gotten used to him, or vice versa...) Chris, and he's a peach! They came from Alberta, as did a lot of Ina's relatives, and David's sister did the best multimedia groom's speech I've ever heard and/or seen! If I ever get married, she can read my toast to the groom! Assuming I'm the groom. Or not. Whatever. I'll think about that tomorrow.

David was done up to the nines, and looked amazing, and was suavity itself. He and Ina were definitely the most glam couple in the room. I looked like a rucksack hauled over the side of a ship, Paul had a shirt with withered flowers on it, oh, it just doesn't bear repeating.....

Where was I?Oh yeah, Ina looked amazing!!! It was this kind of Jean Harlow kind of 30's evening gown in white satin, and matching elbow length gloves and vintage jewelry and she looked the berries!! See pickshaw.

All in all, it reconfirmed my faith in weddings, after all, its not something I see myself doing very soon, so its nice to go to one that if you AREN'T getting married, you can at least say, if I ever do land some poor worm and take the plunge into matrimonial perdition, I want the whole sendoff to be just like THAT. Except that I think Ina's dress looks better on her. To be on the safe side, I'd better just stick with the rucksack.

No comments: